Anyone can build a new deck within a month. However, if you have a good plan, you’ll cut this time in half. To get started, follow these steps.
Identify the Reason Why You’re Building A Deck
A deck can be a summer hangout spot, a dining location, or a hub for outdoor entertaining. No matter how you plan to use your deck, you must pick a proper layout. This strategy will help you formulate the best blueprints. Here are five popular deck layouts for classic and modern homes.
- A wraparound deck: This deck layout mimics a wraparound porch. Its practical shape will improve air circulation inside of your home.
- A multi-tier deck: If your home is built on an elevated landscape, this deck layout may be right for you. It will have at least two levels and a set of steps or stairs. This type of deck maximizes space, and it creates distinctive zones in different areas.
- An attached deck: An attached deck is great for a U-shaped or L-shaped home. With the right blueprints, you can make this deck a premier outdoor living space. You can add an overhead roof to this deck. If you incorporate an aluminum roof, it will keep everyone cool throughout the summer.
- Detached deck: A detached deck is like an island. Due to its design, you can place it over drainpipes or over uneven terrain. You could even position it next to a flowerbed to create curb appeal on your property.
Select a Good Location for Your DIY Deck
A proper location will help you get the most out of a ground level deck or multi-tier deck. The scouting process is a science. To be successful, follow these steps.
Measure Your Property
A ground deck has to be spacious, so you should scale it to the size of the landscape.
Avoid Areas That Are Affected by Microclimates
Microclimates generate in the atmosphere, but they only cause discomfort in isolated areas. You can measure and track microclimates with a digital hydrometer.
Study the Daily Summer Heat Patterns
The sun’s position changes throughout the day. If you track its movement, you’ll be able to pinpoint the best spot to build your deck. To make an accurate calculation, take a picture of the sun’s angle over your yard with a camera every hour.
Set a Budget
Do research ahead of time. This will help you set a reasonable budget. A fair budget for a ground-level deck varies. You’ll need to calculate
- The price of permits
- Labor costs
- Material costs
- Possible expenses for accessories
Deck Contractors Near Me
If you’d like to build a custom deck, turn to the team at Advanced Construction Services. Request a free estimate for a custom composite deck today!